Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Few Days at the Frankfurt Temple

Here's a view of the temple out the window of the room in the Guest House where I stayed This is the room I stayed in. There's one more bunk bed to my right you can't see and a table and chairs and window behind me. I slept in the bottom bunk of the bed directly in front of me in this photo.
This is the kitchen. It's in the basement of the building. The window you can see looks out in the same direction as the window in the room I stayed in.



This shows the refrigerated lockers. The numbers on the doors correspond to room numbers. There are four lockers for each room. Usually that is enough even though there can be up to eight people in the room. Most of the time I was there there were just two others in the room. One night though all the beds were full. Three of them were filled by a mom and two daughters - the one daughter was getting married the next morning!

In walking to the grocery store near the temple I discovered that at many houses there was a little Easter bush in the front yard. Easter was a little over a week away. The crocuses were coming out and a few forcythia. Most Germans either decorate a bush in their front yard with eggs as shown here, or they cut branches and bring them indoors and decorate them or both(photos to come.) At the temple they were putting out all the pansies and other spring flowers in the flower beds. In the village lots of people were doing that too. You can see newly set-out flowers in the picture below.

It was very helpful for getting back in to speaking German for me to be at the temple just taking everything in and having conversations with people between sessions. I met people from several parts of Germany and also from France, Belgium and the US. I went to the grocery store a couple of times. The first time I didn't buy much - I just walked around taking it all in. I have a goal to try any kind of yogurt or quark or pudding-type thing that I havn't tried yet. There's a lot of different kinds, so I don't know how far I will get with that goal, but I will have fun trying :)




1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter! It looks like your enjoying yourself. All of the yummy yogurt sound great.

    ReplyDelete