Sunday, April 4, 2010

Exploring Hamburg

This week I have been in Northern Germany visiting various friends, mostly in Hamburg and in Kiel. On Saturday (the day before Easter), my friend Petra from Hamburg gave me an in depth tour of the city and harbour. We started out at a little outdoor market near where she lives, and then took the commuter train (S-Bahn) to the Hamburg main train station (see photos below.)
From there we walked through the shopping street to the Rathaus (city hall) and then explored a little more downtown.


We then headed for the harbour where we took a ferry quite a ways out. We then walked along a beautiful path along the shore back into the city.


It was fun for me to go out into the harbor. I thought about various ancestors who left from there. As far as I know, most of the time when people left for America from Scandinavia they took the train to Hamburg first, then took the boat from there.
As we walked back along the water we saw people preparing a huge Easter bonfire on one of the beaches. I was never aware of this tradition before, but I guess at sunset on the evening before Easter people all over light bonfires, officially starting the Easter holiday. In the week or so before Easter everyone trims the shrubs in their yards, then they burn what they have cut off. It is practical and fun at the same time.
In the late evening we headed to my friend Jutta's house and had a yummy salad for supper (see photo below.)




There's lots more to tell about that day and more photos to post, but at least this is a start :)
I thought of all of you at home on Easter yesterday and hope you all had a good holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment